Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Ever Happened To Discipline?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to post. Seems like this week everytime I pick up the camera to catch a cute moment...they stop....Uggh! Plus our afternoons are consumed with homework! Every night there is Spelling, Reading, and Math. Our children are in so much trouble especially when it comes to Math! I hate it - Mark hates it. I am horrible at it - Mark is horrible at it! Exactly the reason why I got my degree in journalism/communications - not real math intensive! The most math the hubby ever had to do was read a radar and figure out how many miles per hour over the speed limit some poor schmuck was going! And it doesn't help that Landman would already pull his own toenails off rather than do homework! Makes for very long afternoons and evenings around the Taylor household. So I just haven't had much motivation to pick up my camera.

But what I have done is read an article on some web site or magazine, I can't even remember now where it was, but I read it and just fumed the whole time! It was some cutesy article that was supposed to be humorous and and oh so relateable to mothers. Just ticked me off! The author was writing about her trip to the grocery store with her SINGLE child! And of couse it turned into a three ring circus - the little girl ran off, crashed into another person's cart- threw opened bag of cookies down- screamed bloody murder, etc. and so how did this mother handle it????? You guessed it! She abandoned her shopping cart and left the store! CHILD GOT HER WAY! Hello - idiot- you just taught her how to get her way! Then this lady proceeded to list off all these ways to avoid this situation.. 1.Bring another adult to play/entertain child! Is she freaking kidding me? 2. Immediately buy child a toy or drink or candy to make them happy. Totally what is wrong with the world!

Now, don't get me wrong - I am no super mom, genius of child raising or great disciplinarian(sp) but I do make my children mind! And I don't (on a normal basis) BRIBE them to act correctly either! Most of the time, I have TWO almost 2-year-olds with me - and I have yet to have a meltdown in a store! In fact they never even frown! Why, because I make them mind! When I tell them No - they generally stop! We are for sure still learning - and we still have plenty of meltdowns but they happen in the privacy of our own home!

It just infuraited me to read some absurd list about dealing with a child in the grocery store, when I could have written the same article in one word....DISCIPLINE!

(And NO - that screaming you hear in the background is NOT my children throwing tantrums, and NO Reid isn't kicking the door - and Ella isn't hanging on my ankles crying - I am not counting to 10 to keep from blowing my top....We live in a completely calm, serene, mellow home! LOL!)

I promise - pictures in the next day or so!

No comments: