Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy 5th Wedding Anniversary To My Hubby!

Six years ago I was flirting shamelessly mostly via email with the Investigator at the Sheriff's office. If you think about it we really had an old fashioned type courtship. Most of our getting to know each other was done through letters (emails!) and then every now and then we would get to spend some time together but it was always chaperoned to some extent (sitting in the courtroom during trial, in the sheriff's office when I would come to see if any criminal activity had transpired in the county overnight, etc.) There was always other people around! So really it was  very romantic when I think back about it. And I also think it allowed us to get to know each other so much quicker...I mean - it is kinda shocking the things you will tell someone about yourself or even say to them when it is in writing. It is much easier to get the courage to say things in writing thanit is in person.

After a couple months of numerous emails on a daily basis, being on pins and needles hoping he would be in the courtroom and then catching my breath to try and steady it when I would feel him slip into the bench beside me as I tried to take notes on what was happening in court - he finally asked me on a real date!

I had never been so nervous yet so not nervous about a date in all my life. I was nervous because I liked him so much but not nervous because I already knew him so well.  I had teased him so much about the pressure of an actual date that I think I made him so nervous about it going poorly, that the night before he called me at about 8:30 and said "I am making a quick trip to Abilene right now...wanna go?" I said yes and we had a totally informal, totally relaxed first "date" which we followed up with our "real first date" the following night, complete with steak dinner, movie and first kiss. And 10 short months later....I became his wife!

Today I have officially been his wife for 5 years! Those 5 years have seen us move twice, have two beautiful children, attend countless baseball games, loose his lovely mother, good times and some rough times but through it all my love for him has only strengthened. No one else can make me crazy angry, insanely happy, boastfully proud, and full of love like he does.

Early on in our relationship when he was really pouring on the charm, he wrote me a bunch of little notes and then snuck into my apartment one day while I was at work and hid them all over the place. So that when I opened my make-up bag...there was a little note, when I opened up the freezer...there was a little note, when I opened my dresser drawer...there was a little note. It was the sweetest thing! I of course...after finding the first note began destroying my apartment looking for the others. I think I even went so far as to call him and insist on being told how many there were and where to look! Another time when he had to go out of town for training he sent me a letter via Fedex to work! I mean....he is good..isn't he! How could I not fall in love with him! He was definately a smooth operator! But don't worry I wasn't naive. He knew I was a tough cookie and he had to work that hard!  I love him even more for thinking I was worth all the effort!
One of the little notes said "Whenever someone asks me what I am thinking about...YOU will always be the answer!" I would of married him on the spot if I could have.

After 5 years of marriage that still applies for me. He is always on my mind. I hope it still holds true for him as well. I love him more today than I did yesterday and I will love him more tomorrow than I did today!


On another topic....It took me all afternoon yesterday to find these few pictures of us together. That is my anniversary resolution...This year I will take more pictures of just the hubby and I!

1 comment:

Jamie, Diana, J'Lee, Jaxon, and Jett said...

Congrats!!! I really did tear up reading this. There is just something about love that gets me emotional. I am so happy for you and what a beautiful family you have to share with such a sweet man. I agree, you MUST take more pictures of yourselves. We hate it but I always think, what if something happens to us, how will our babies remember us? Reason 1 of why I blog. Silly, yes! But since I am horrible at the baby book thing, they can always read our blogs and laugh at us. Happy Anniversary!!!!