Monday, November 3, 2008

# 7

Celebrating Daddy's 40th birthday! I love you!



Killer is a little off target!


Daddy getting ready to take a mighty swing!


Me in the pits before the race!


Wow - it has been a busy past couple of weeks. Lets see ... Friday was Halloween and bless his soul, my child is my dream come true. For weeks he has been wanting to go see the Chihuahua movie and his dad and I told him NO! he could just wait for it to come on pay per view. But I think he could also sense our dred of trick or treating - so on Friday- he offered us a deal. He would be willing to go see the Chihuahua movie rather than Trick or Treating! It was COMPLETELY his idea! And let me tell you, Mark and I jumped on that deal! We know a good bargin when we see it! So, we escaped Halloween fairly unscathed!
Had he gone Trick-or-Treating - he would of looked like this!
On Saturday we went to McKenzie and Kelby's wedding in Abilene. It was really nice. It was small and had lots of entertaining music during the reception thanks to the father of the bride! :) I got to meet some more of Mark's family I had never met before. Carlos and Shirley. I liked them alot. They were really fun. Of course I found out really quickly Mark can't be around Carlos in a church!! We didn't get to stay too long because I had to get up early Sunday to go to the Dickies 500 at Texas Motor Speedway!
I was not the least bit excited about this. Hot, loud, and lots of traffic and people! The association had a small sponsorship of the #28 car of Yates Racing. So, we got Hot passes - which allowed us in the garage and pits. It was all fun for about an hour! After nine hours of standing around watching guys work on a car and then seeing them go flying by at 200 mph for 150 laps - I had seen enough thank you! Now don't get me wrong - it was an amazing experience and I am sure any one of the 180,000 Nascar crazys in the stands would of loved to be in my place - but really - it would be like me forcing a guy to attend an ALL DAY Fashion show! I told one of the pit guys - who they called Mad Man - that exact thing. I guess I was standing there looking bored out of my mind, so he asked "well you havin' fun yet?" to which I laughed and told him "would you enjoy an all day fashion show?" he got a kick out of that! But he was really nice and explained lots of things to me - like how they like to make the pit area sticky - so how do they do that? They shake up a coke and then let it spew out everywhere! Can you believe that with all their money and technology - coke is still their tool of choice!

I left before the race was over. One of the guys said that if you waited until the race was over - it would take three hours just to get out of the parking lot!!! So I left about half way through the race and did not have a bit of trouble! I was never so glad to be in my car and driving home!

Me with a board member of the association. See the cars zooming by in the background!
The green flag just dropped. Jeff Gordon in the lime green car held the #1 pole position.

The #28 car's pit crew.
Our pit was right next to Jimmie Johnson's pit. This is the #48 car pit crew.
Walking down pit row before the race.

We ran into Rachel Ray and Mario Betolli on pit row before the race.

Inside the car. Definately need a degree in rocket science to drive one of those things!

Yates team making a pit stop.



Wonder why you can't get service like this at a regular lube place! ?

I have seen the Elephant - Don't need to ever see it again!

1 comment:

she-she said...

Grace,
I loved reading your latest account of the fall"special days". We enjoyed Landon's last t-ball game, and
pinata time on Mark's birthday. The race pictures and story are fun. Glad to read your depiction instead of actually hearing the sounds!!
Have a great weekend.
---sherry