Today, May 1, is my Daddy's Birthday. Of course these days he is better known as Pops. But he will always and forever be "my daddy!" He is the most perfect father and I am so lucky to have him, but I am so grateful and say thanks everyday that my children have him as their Pops. I can honestly say that my motivation to have children really had less to do with my need for them but rather I wanted to make sure my children got to know my parents. I didn't want my kids to miss out on knowing how great their grandparents are, and being able to remember all the times spent with them.
And I as I think about him, I begin to for the first time in my life realize that my competitiveness probably comes from my dad. You might think it comes from my mom, and probably some does, but Dad always turns everything into a competition. From running around a tank (once again, a lost ballet shoe), guessing what time we will get home, doing pull-ups, memorizing a quote.... You name it, we were competing!
Really, I guess I should be saying thank you to my mama, for having the good sense to agree to a blind date with a boy from Comanche all those years ago the summer before college. And for agreeing to go back out with him months later when their paths crossed on campus at Tech. Thanks to her good taste, I have the most wonderful man as my father and as my children's Pops! Thanks Mom!
And as a gift to my daddy....
"It is a curious fact that of all the illusions that beset mankind,
none is quite so curious as that tendency to suppose that we are mentally and morally superior
to those who differ from us in opinion." - Elbert Hubbard
none is quite so curious as that tendency to suppose that we are mentally and morally superior
to those who differ from us in opinion." - Elbert Hubbard
No comments:
Post a Comment